Super Foods = Leafy Greens
Grinnin For Greens
The healthy cooking show that is all about the super food spinach and leafy greens is one of the most popular Now We’re Cooking episodes. Popeye had it right about spinach giving him super strength.
Super foods are nutrient power houses that boost your immune system and fight aging. Leafy greens are one of the top 12 nutrient dense super foods.
Swiss Chard Polenta
Preheat oven to 350º
2 bunches Swiss chard
1 med. onion-sliced thinly
4 cloves slivered garlic
¼ cup water
3 ½ cup water and/or vegetable broth
1 ¼ cup whole grain cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. fresh herb of your choice
4 oz asiago cheese
4 oz fresh mozzarella
½ cup reduced fat sour cream
- Prepare Swiss chard. Wash and remove large parts of stems. Coarse chop. Heat large skillet with olive oil., add onion and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add Swiss chard and water. Cook and toss until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- To Prepare polenta: Heat water/stock to a boil and add cornmeal gradually and in a steady stream stirring constantly with a wire whisk until combined. Continue to boil and cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings in the last 2 minutes. Stir in asiago cheese.
- Smear a bottom thin layer of polenta into a 2 qt. casserole.
- Top with greens.
- Top greens with sour cream and sliced mozzarella. Top with remaining polenta.
- Bake for about 30 minutes and allow to rest another 5 minutes before serving.
Wilted Greens with Pasta
1 bag spinach-washed, stems removed and coarse chopped
¼ head green curly endive-washed, and coarse chopped
1 large onion-sliced
1 Tbs. olive oil
3 cloves garlic-slivers
crushed red pepper
½ lb. cooked whole grain capellini
2 Tbs. fresh oregano-minced
½ cup pasta water
½ lb. fresh parmesan cheese-grated
Optional: tomatoes and seared tofu, or chicken.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until just translucent.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper, cook briefly 1 minute.
- Stir in pasta, water, oregano, and dandelion greens. Stir continuously as greens wilt until pasta is hot. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.
Wilted Bitter Greens
1 gallon mixed greens-of your choice (spinach, endive, Swiss char, collard, dandelion)
1 Medium onion-diced
2 slices bacon
- Wash, drain, remove stems from greens. Coarse chop.
- Dice bacon and crisp in skillet. Add diced onion and cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add greens, stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Heat until hot. Serve with balsamic vinegar.