Irish Recipes – Stew & Blarney Stones
These recipes were featured on the Irish Now We’re Cooking TV show.
Now We’re Cooking still broadcasts occasionally online at White Rose Community Access TV.
1½ LB cubed lamb
¾ cup onion-sliced
1 ¾ LB peeled sliced potatoes
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cup hot stock or water
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
¾ lb. sliced sweet potatoes
2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
- In a heavy pot place a layer of potatoes, meat and onion. Season with salt and pepper, then repeat twice, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Add to the pot rosemary and bay leaf, and pour over the stock.
- Slowly bring to a boil. Cover and simmer slowly for about 1½ hours. Shake pot periodically to keep the potatoes from sticking.
- After 1½ hours, add sweet potatoes and parsley. Cook for an additional hour.
It is done when all the moisture has been absorbed by the potatoes and the lamb is tender.
(This Irish treat is awesome anytime of the year!)
2 large eggs
3 large egg whites
1 ¾ cup sugar, minus 1 Tbs.
¼ cup butter
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 cup flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
3 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt
Zest of orange
Juice of orange
Whole milk (combined total of juice and milk should equal 1 cup)
- In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter until well mixed, about 5 minutes; beat in the eggs, vanilla until thick and lemon colored, about 4 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; add to egg mixture.
- Beat on low speed just until combined.
- Add the milk, zest and juice; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13-in x 9-in x 2-in baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- Cover and freeze overnight
2 lb confectioners sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
6 cup chopped nuts
- In a mixing bowl, combine confectioners sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt; beat until smooth.
- Frost the top and sides of frozen cake squares.
- Roll in peanuts.
- Place on wire racks to dry.