Healthy Macaroni And Cheese
Good Kids Food
Now We’re Cooking TV show teaches fun, fast and healthy cooking to give your kids good food. Check out the show by clicking here.
1/2 lb. cooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
2 cup whole milk (or 1 % (or 2%) milk)
1 ½ cup diced white cheddar cheese
½ cup diced Parmesan
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
Wondra™ flour to thicken
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup cheddar cheese-grated
- Place milk in heavy sided sauce pot. Using medium flame, heat slowly to a scald. (just below a boil)
- Add salt and pepper, and reduce heat and stir in flour gradually until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Stir in cheese, continue to stir and heat on low until cheese is melted.
- Combine elbows and sauce, serve as is or pour into casserole and top with crumbs and cheese.
- Bake for ½ hour until top is crusted.
FoodSmart Quick Tips:
- You can transition your kids into whole foods by using gradual techniques.
- In this recipe; start with the scratch recipe technique and use yellow cheese first with a pasta wheat white blend. Then when they get used to that switch to a white cheese.
- Finally switch to a 100% whole grain pasta.
- Remember that it may take up to 14 exposures to a new food before a child is willing to try it. Don’t make a big issue about it!