Super Food-Roast Butternut Squash Recipe
Fall and Winter is the season for the super foods, butternut, neck pumpkins, acorn and all dark orange squashes.
Fall / Winter Vegetables Are Nutrient Dense
These Fall veggies are a power house of flavor and nutrients.
Underneath the tough skin is a deep orange flesh that goes well from soup pots, to skillet, to roasting pan with simple preparations.
High heat brings out the best in these full flavored robust vegetables. The Caramelization of the sugars with high heat unlocks more flavor and brings out a sweet nutty dish.
This simple roast butternut squash recipe will tantalize your taste buds. Eat it as is as a side dish or toss when still warm with some baby greens to make a low calorie-vitamin rich Fall salad.
1 butternut squash (apx. 3 cups after peeling and cubing)
1 small red onion
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary (or ½ tsp dry rosemary, crumbled)
Be Creative: Scallions, cranberries, raisins all make a nice addition!
- Cut off ends of squash and stand on end.
- Using sharp knife, remove skins, by slicing down one inch slices at a time; slicing top to bottom all the way around the squash.
- Cut in half and remove seeds with a spoon.
- Cut squash into 1 inch strips or wedges, then into one inch cubes. Place in bowl.
- Cut onion into one inch wedges and add to squash.
- Peel garlic and cut each clove into halves. Add to squash.
- Combine all other ingredients and pour over squash; toss gently to coat all of the squash evenly.
- Pour squash mixture out onto a large sheet pan or roasting roasting pan. A stoneware pan will give you the best results for caramel flavor and color.
- Bake at 475 for 25 minutes on top shelf. Finished squash will have a brown color, and be tender when stabbed with a fork.
Fiber Burns Calories
This recipe is real food cooked right.
When you eat good-for-you-foods that are high in fiber, you will increase your metabolism and burn more calories.
Learn more about increasing your metabolism with the Wow! You Are Really Lucky…. healthy living program.