Lightning Fast Broccoli Au Gratin
Broccoli au gratin does not have to be complicated.
The official food definition of au gratin means browned on top but these days anything topped with cheese is described as being au gratin.
This broccoli au gratin recipe won’t get brown since it is a microwave dish and it is so easy-peasy that even a child can make it!
Simple Broccoli Au Gratin Recipe
Broccoli au gratin is often made with cream and a variety of other ingredients. In this case though, it is something you can throw together in a flash with ingredients you normally have in your kitchen.
Use any kind of Cheddar cheese you want but better quality cheese means better flavor au gratin!
1 (12 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets or cuts, thawed
3 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz shredded (good quality) Cheddar cheese
- Place broccoli in the refrigerator the day before so it thaws out.
- Spread in flat pie plate type microwave safe casserole dish.
- Dot with butter.
- Microwave on high until butter is melted and broccoli is warm.
- Then sprinkle broccoli with salt and pepper and toss to coat all of it with the butter.
- Spread evenly again on pie plate and sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Microwave on high, for 1 – 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
If you prefer to use fresh broccoli just cook it ahead then drain well and start at step two.
Everyone will LOVE It and you will say:
Wow! That broccoli and cheese sauce recipe sure was easy!