Healthy Bread and Butter Pickle Recipe
This refrigerated bread and butter pickle recipe requires no canning and can be put together in a flash. It is almost impossible to buy pickles with no high fructose corn syrup which is why this is one of my all time favorite recipes.
I have to say it is in the top ten of all the recipes I create on a regular basis. I love pickles.
When I was little and my family went out to eat in restaurants I was given a bowl of pickles to keep me quiet. I dipped them in granulated sugar.
All of the pickles in the grocery store have high fructose corn syrup in them. I do not eat high fructose corn syrup, so this is a recipe that is made often.
Feel free to play around with it. If you are diabetic cut the sugar. Try making it with honey or any other sweetener you want! Get artistic!!
Zesty Bread and Butter Pickle Recipe
This is a simple pickle recipe that is easy and yummy and good for you too. It doesn’t need to be canned… just store them in the refrigerator. I usually use less sugar than called for here for an even zestier pickle!!
2 pounds baby cucumbers
½ medium onion
Any other vegetables you want to throw in (recently I made them with added carrot slices)
1. Wash and slice vegetables ¼ inch or less. Place in bowl and toss to combine.
2. Set aside.
2 ¾ cup cider vinegar
2 ¾ cup white sugar
1 cinnamon stick
¼ tsp. sea salt
Assorted pickling spices of your choice to equal about a tablespoon total. (I do not measure it)
3. In a sauce pan combine all ingredients except vegetables and heat to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. When still boiling hard, pour brine over raw vegetables. Press and stir.
4. Put a plate on the top of your new pickles and press so that all of the pickles are under the brine.
5. Allow to sit at room temperature for several hours.
6. Remove cinnamon stick before putting in containers
7. Package into jars and store in the refrigerator.
Be Pickle Creative
Note: The spices are just samples of what I may use. Sometimes I stir fresh herbs into the vegetables before adding the brine. Last week when I made my pickles I used red wine vinegar. Every change will create a new flavor.
Deb’s original zesty bread and butter pickle recipe will store for a couple of months under refrigeration without canning.