“What is metabolism?” is a question I get asked frequently. Metabolism is what this website is all about.
What Is Metabolism?
Metabolism is the process of of living life.
It is the regenerating and degenerating your body.
That may sound like two opposite actions and they are. Metabolism is a combination of all of the body’s processes that maintain life.
Metabolism is your body’s ability to build and break down. Opposites again!
Your body must replace all cells that die. We lose about 60,000 cells per minute in the living and aging process.
So a healthy body will replace or regenerate about 60,000 cells per minute. It will also perform the necessary function of breaking down and getting rid of all of the waste and dying cells. Hence, degenerate and regenerate at the same time.
Metabolism is the process that our body uses to break down and rebuild simultaneously.
Get The Natural Metabolism Of A Cave Person!
Like this graphic?
Share it by linking to this page or print this healthy metabolism chart.
Fiber Speeds Up Your Metabolism! Eat Small Meals
You can speed up your metabolism naturally by eating more fiber! The easiest way to speed up your metabolism naturally is to eat smaller meals every three hours and to make sure that each meal includes fiber, protein and carbohydrates. Several things happen when you do this that speed up your metabolism naturally.
- The combination of fiber, protein and carbohydrates causes you digestion system to slow down so that the food moves thought you slower. Therefore the body is able to extract more vitamins from the meal and at the same time burn more calories during the digestions process.
- When you slow down the digestion process, you stay satiated longer. On top of that the body’s ability to gain more energy and vitamins from each meal also reduces cravings.
- Eating in smaller amounts and closer together keeps the internal metabolism fire burning. The shorter time between vitamin, protein and fiber rich meals means that your body never shuts off the metabolism between meals. You continue to burn calories all day long.
Good Carbohydrates To Speed Up Your Metabolism
Be sure that you pick whole foods. Whole grains, fresh meats and vegetables. White grains require very little processing in our body because they are all sugar and man made vitamins.
When a grain is striped of its bran, germ and fiber the only thing that is left is the endosperm which is the sugar.
Make sure that your foods are as close to whole as possible. It is the fiber in the whole grains that requires the digestion process to take it’s time and burn more calories. Of course whole grain has more vitamins, and the added bonus is that the fiber content counter balances the sugar found naturally in carbs.
So when you eat whole foods, it takes longer to digest, you get more out of it in nutrients, and you stay full longer and your metabolism naturally speeds up. Get those internal fires crackling with a natural healthy diet!!
The normal eating patterns of modern humans actually sabotages the metabolism and slows the whole process down. When you eat only three times per day your body actually switches gears and begins to store calories/fat in between meals. Our bodies still act as if we need to hoard our nutrients to fight of a famine. The three hour mark is approximately when your body starts to power down to save up the energy for future needs.
Set your metabolism on FIRE!! When you develop the habit of eating small meals every three hours your metabolism will stay on high speed all day long and into the night.
- Eat 5-6 times a day and keep that fire crackling!!
When we go all night without food, then skip breakfast we make matters worse by causing our body to slow the metabolism even more. Skipping meals does exactly the opposite of what you intend for it to do!
- Eat a light meal within an hour of bed time to continue to burn calories all night. Be sure that it includes carbs, protein and fiber.
- To really ignite your metabolism a short walk before your snack will really set that bon-fire burning.
Speed Up Your Metabolism Naturally
Speeding up your metabolism naturally happens when you eat whole or natural foods.
Convenience foods are chemical and sugar laden and nutritionally unsound. Convenience foods require very little internal “processing”, and therefore do not burn calories during digestion. When you eat a lot of convenience food you always craving more because your body is not getting the nutrients it deserves.
It is like your body is saying may I please have a banana and you give it a cupcake!
You deserve to have a high metabolism and high energy level. The easiest way to do that is to eat a small meal every three hours and be sure to always include carbs, protein and fiber.
Deb Bixler On Google+