One Pot Chicken Dish: Chicken Squash Medley
This easy one-pot chicken dish could go into the 17 minute meals category except for the cooking time.
It is a quick and easy chicken recipe that takes advantage of the fall harvest.
You can use any variety of squash that you would like. I usually include at least one deep orange one. Pick a tart apple.
One Pot Chicken Dish: Squash and Apple Recipe
1 quart of 3 varieties of squash: Your choice – wash, peeled, cubed
1 red onion – sliced
2 cups apples, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 tablespoon chopped sage
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 whole chicken legs
Salt & pepper
¼ cup red wine
- Place cut squash, onion and apples into a large roasting pan or oven safe skillet.
- Add sage and olive oil and toss till coated.
- Set the chicken legs on top and season with salt and pepper
- Roast for about 40 minutes to 1 hour at 375 degrees or until the squash and apples are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Place the roasting pan over a burner and heat.
- Stir in wine and reduce for a minute or so.
- Take it straight to the dinner table!
Chicken And Apples: Use Salmon Or Pork Chops Too
Chicken thighs are the ideal size for this one-pot chicken dish. When you use chicken breasts the vegetables tend to be a bit firm and when you use thighs the veggies are a bit overcooked when the chicken is done.
This recipe also goes nicely with a salmon fillet or pork chops. Don’t get the extra thick pork chops and it will cook perfectly.