Healthy Turkey Stuffing Recipe, Thanksgiving Menu
Thanksgiving Can Mean A Healthy Menu
Thanksgiving is a terrific time to enjoy and be grateful for all of the good in life! Foods served at a traditional Thanksgiving menu are good for you. Thanksgiving and other fall holiday meals only become unhealthy when we over-consume and stray from the wholesome goodness of whole foods. This recipe is an awesome whole grain turkey stuffing recipe that will keep Thanksgiving the healthy dinner it was meant to be.
Healthy Turkey Dinner Tips
- The optimum size for a turkey for best value for your money is 12-15 pounds. After 15 pounds the bone to meat ratio goes up, so you are paying for more bone than meat.
- A self-basting clay oven is the best way to cook a turkey. (www.DebCooks4You.com)
- It is not necessary to open the oven. Use a digital thermometer to monitor your turkey.
- Carry-over cooking is the time allowed after a turkey comes out of the oven, to allow the heat in the turkey to complete the cooking process. For a 12-15 pound turkey, remove it from the oven when it reaches about 160 degrees and allow 30 minutes carry-over. This will give the juices time to get reabsorbed, and the heat within the turkey to “carry-over” the cooking process while it “rests”.
- Never carve a turkey or roast without allowing for the resting process. The juices need to be reabsorbed into the meat for a more succulent bird.
- When using a whole bone-in turkey, plan to allow 1 pound of turkey per person. This will give you ample to include leftovers and not excessive quantities.
- The best turkeys are fresh, minimally processed turkeys.
- For the cooked-to-perfection turkey it is best to cook unstuffed. Stuffing a bird requires longer cooking times, thus the breast meat becomes overcooked.
Healthy Holiday Turkey Cook Book – Recording
The “Talking Turkey” healthy holiday turkey electronic cook book includes a free hour long recording on how to make your healthy holiday feast. Your family deserve a healthy dinner. Sign up here for your FREE cookbook and recording:
Whole Grain Date Stuffing Ingredients
1 med onion-diced
2 stick celery-diced
2 medium carrots-peeled, and shredded
6 slices whole wheat bread-cubed
4 slices-8-grain whole wheat bread-cubed
4 oz. egg whites
1/3 cup parsley-minced
1/3 cup fresh herbs-minced (I use rosemary, thyme and sage)
Salt and pepper
¾ cup chopped dates
¾ cup turkey stock
Easy Bake Stuffing Plan
With this stuffing recipe you can plan ahead. Make your stuffing the day before and put it in your casserole. Then on Thanksgiving just put it in the oven or microwave 30-45 minutes before you are ready to eat. It is easy and now you do not have to get up so early as your turkey will cook quicker without the stuffing.
1. In a small sauté pan, sweat or steam the celery and onions covered over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Combine all ingredients and mix until evenly distributed without over-mixing or breaking up the cubes too much. Put into lightly oiled stoneware casserole and cover with parchment paper or oiled brown bag.
3. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes.