Healthy Recipe For Green Bean Casserole
If your family loves that recipe for green bean casserole with those crunchy things on top then you should try this healthy version.
This is a green bean casserole that tastes good and is good for you.
It still has the onions and the mushrooms and of course the green beans but none of the chemical-laden soup or canned goods found in the now popular and “traditional” green bean casserole recipes.
Recipe For Green Beans Casserole
You will not find any chemicals in this recipe!
This recipe will serve about 6 and is easily doubled. Don’t worry about getting things exact. It will be healthy and yummy any way you throw it together.
1 cup washed, sliced white mushroom
1 lb. green beans-stems removed
- Peel onion and cut in half crosswise. Cut down into onion like a pie without cutting through to bottom. Do both halves.
- Using a small stoneware baking bowl, place onion on a bed of thyme and drizzle with olive oil, then top with thyme. Cover with bowl and bake at 350* for approximately 35 minutes.
- When cooled cut onion into a dice.
- In bowl, combine all other ingredients with the diced onion, except mushrooms. Whisk.
- At service time: Microwave sauce until hot. Boil beans until done. Combine hot beans, sauce and mushrooms just before you serve.
Fast and Easy Green Bean Casserole
This green bean casserole is just as fast and easy as the one with the mushroom soup and crunchy onions on top when you plan ahead.
Bake the onion and make the sauce a few days ahead of time and then the day of dinner just steam the beans and toss with the sauce and mushrooms.
The heat from the beans is enough to cook the mushrooms. If you want to stick it in a casserole dish while everything else finishes, that will hold in the oven well for about 30 minutes.
Healthy living and maintaining your ideal weight is not about depriving yourself of good food.
The holidays are the best time to give your family the gift of good food and a healthy lifestyle.