Lentils, Legumes and Fiber!
Low fat and heart-healthy legumes are one of the best plant-based protein sources and they are packed full of vitamins, minerals and fiber!
The American diet is short on fiber and yet it is inexpensive and easy to add to your daily diet in the form of legumes.
Legumes And Fiber Recipe
The dietary benefits of legumes are many. Lentils and other legumes are one of the best sources of cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber. Lentils are loaded with antioxidants, protein, vitamins and minerals, especially iron.
This Curried Lentil recipe has two legumes and fiber… and lots of it! It is good for you and fast to make, hence the name:
This dish is similar to a traditional Indian Dahl Lentil Curry.
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion-sliced
1 (14 oz. ) can diced tomatoes
1 Tbs. fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
pinch red pepper flakes
1 tsp. curry powder
2 cups water
¾ cup lentils
1 (14 oz) can chickpeas
1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach-thawed
- In large sauce pot heat oil until hot. Add onions. Cook for 2 minutes
- Add next 5 ingredients. Cook for half an hour.
- In separate sauce pot put 2 cans water and lentils. Cook for one half hour on medium heat.
- Wash and drain peas. Thaw, squeeze and drain spinach
- Combine tomato mixture, lentil mixture, carrots peas and spinach. Return to a boil and simmer 10 more minutes.