Fresh Homemade Salsa Recipe
This is easy and delicious fresh homemade salsa recipe that makes the most of those flavorful summer tomatoes.
You can make it year round using hydroponically grown vine ripened tomatoes to get that Summer flavor in the Winter.
4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1/2 cup fresh-snipped cilantro
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chop tomatoes into a medium bowl, dice and slice green onion, place in bowl.
- Remove the stems from the cilantro and chop or snip with kitchen shears.
- Add cilantro and remaining ingredients to tomato mixture; mix gently.
- Cover; chill until ready to serve.
Ask The Tomato Grower
Farmer’s markets are a great way to improve your food purchases.
When you go to farmers markets you can ask the grower questions that give you a better idea on the food you are purchasing. Taking advantage of the opportunity to talk to the grower (or buyer) can improve the quality of food you buy as well as the price.
Examples of questions to ask the grower or buyer are:
- Did you grow it or buy it?
- How many times was this sprayed with pesticides?
- How long has it been in storage?
- Do you have anything pesticide free?
- Was this vine ripened?
- Do you have anything that I could substitute for this that is local or better quality?
At farmer’s markets you may find healthy, vine ripened alternatives such as hydroponically grown produce when you start talking with the vendors. Locally grown fruits and vegetables available at a farmer’s market may be better priced in season.
Seasonal produce that is grown locally and vine ripened will be at it’s peek of nutrition as well as flavor. Get back into the old fashioned way of shopping by talking to your produce vendor will ensure that you are aware of the best possible food choices.