Halloween Treats That Are Healthier & FUN!
Halloween doesn’t have to teach kids about ghoulish gluttony! Use this fun season to teach your kids kids or grand kids that snacks, candy and desserts can be made a little bit better for you based on choices.
You can make the kid favorite rice krispy treat with brown rice krispies instead of the white rice sold in most stores. Krispy Brown Rice Treats have wholesome whole grain goodness of brown rice and the same yummy flavor as the refined rice counterpart.
White rice and flour is nothing but sugar and man-made vitamins. Brown rice and wild rice are whole grain.
These family favorites include natural whole grain goodness and they taste the same! Teach your kids that treats can be made healthier too.
Healthy Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
40 large marshmallows (this is generally one bag)
½ cup unsalted butter
1 box Brown Rice Krisp Cereal (10-13 oz.)
Optional: 1 individual serving bag of M&M chocolate candies
- Put cereal into a large bowl.
- Melt butter & marshmallows in a large saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Pour melted mixture over the cereal and mix well.
- Immediately spread this mixture into a 9×13″ baking pan that is lined with parchment paper (or greased or sprayed with canola oil).
- Sprinkle M&Ms evenly over the top.
- Press and shape treats by pressing down and shaping with parchment paper to fit pan. Cool completely. When cool, cut into squares.
Marshmallow Treat Not Healthy Food
Just because this marshmallow treat recipe uses brown rice it does not make this a health food!
Small choices like this will improve the value of candy, snacks and Halloween treats and most importantly it will teach your kids that small choices can be made on a daily basis that add to your health and healty food can be fun too!
Brown rice krispie cereals may be found in most whole food grocery stores. If you want to buy them pre-made they are also available packaged in many healthy food stores.
This Patriotic Punch would also be a cool idea for your trick-or-treaters. Your family deserves the best! Happy Cooking, Deb
Deb Bixler On Google+