Healthier Star Spangled Cheesecake Recipe
Healthy Cheese Cake
This recipe for Star Spangled Cheesecake is one of my own creations. Cheesecake is never health food. This recipe is a few less calories and designed with more good-for-you ingredients. It is not hard. It only takes the planning and time to make it, just like any scratch cheesecake. Any time you buy a cheesecake, there is a good chance it is full of chemicals. You can be sure this is made with real food!
Whole Grain Crust
1 pkg. whole wheat graham crackers
(ea box has 3 pkg or apx. 2 cups)
1 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. canola oil
1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
1. Put all ingredients into a food processor and whirl until crumbly.
2. Lightly spray 9” spring form pan with vegetable spray.
3. Put crumb mixture into pan and pat down lightly , being sure that the crumbs run up the side about ½ “. Set aside.
Real Food Filling and Less Fat
1 ½ lb. fat-free cream cheese
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
3 each whole eggs
6 oz. egg whites
1 cup sugar (minus 2 Tbs.)
zest of one lemon
1. In food processor, cream the cream cheese with the lemon juice and vanilla until smooth.
2. Add all other ingredients and mix until light and fluffy. Scrape bottom and mix again.
3. Pour filling into pan and bake in 350º oven for 1 hour without opening the oven door.
4. Remove from oven. Cheesecake should be set but still slightly jiggly in the center. Allow to cool at room temperature for 45 minutes.
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
2 Tbs. sugar (from above)
1. Combine all ingredients and set aside.
2. Pour topping onto cooled (for 45 minutes) cheesecake and return to the oven for only 15 minutes. Refrigerate until fully cooled.
No Chemical Glaze
1-2 Tbs water
1 jar all-fruit jam
1 cup strawberries (washed)
1 cup blueberries (washed)
1. Melt jam in microwave with water.
2. Dredge washed and cut fruit in gelatin glaze and decorate cooled cheesecake as desired. Pour extra glaze over fruit and allow to chill thoroughly before cutting.
Dessert is never health food, yet we all have choices to make each day and it is not that hard to choose just a little bit better every time. You change the future for your kids when you learn how to incorporate a few simple strategies into you daily life that will result in a healthier living program. Learn more about the best “diet” program for your family. It is really a way of life, so that you do not have to diet!