How To Make Fast Healthy Tomato Sauce
Everyone is in a hurry. So what do we do? Pick up tomato sauce in a jar at the grocery store, of course! Most people do not even stop to look at the ingredient list. Frequently it is full of chemicals and added (hidden) sugars. This fast, healthy recipe for tomato sauce does not take that much more time than opening a jar and heating it up. Just keep the ingredients on hand for a quick throw-together meal.
Quick 10 Minute Tomato Sauce Recipe
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
sea salt (or not)
3 medium cloves of garlic – chopped or pressed
1 medium onion-sliced
2-14 oz. ounce can organic diced tomatoes (My favorite is Eden Organic tomatoes.)
14 oz. can crushed organic tomatoes
1 Tb. Italian seasoning blend
zest of one lemon
- Combine the olive oil, red pepper flakes, sea salt, onion in a saucepan.
- Stir while you heat the saucepan over medium-high heat, saute just 45 seconds or so until onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 10 seconds. Do not brown the garlic.
- Stir in the tomatoes and Italian seasoning and heat to a simmer.
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
Variations For Even Healthier Recipe Spaghetti – Pizza Sauce
This recipe can be made in almost any variation you want.
Try adding carrots or broccoli when cooking the onions for a healthier version. If you would like a meat sauce, use ground turkey and saute that before adding the onions.
This tomato sauce can be used for spaghetti (whole wheat, of course!), your favorite pizza recipe, or for any dish that you normally use store-bought tomato sauce in.