Healthy Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Don’t let the length of this recipe scare you away from trying it.
I especially like this recipe because it is not as heavy as most eggplant Parmesan recipes.
It is awesome as a vegetarian dish and also good with some ground turkey added.
Eggplant Parmesan Ingredients:
2 medium eggplants
½ cup milk
Approximately 8 oz fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Approximately 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
1 Qt Your favorite tomato sauce
¼ cup fresh basil (or 1 Tbs. dry)
¼ cup fresh oregano (or 1 Tbs. dry)
freshly ground black pepper
Note: ingredients quantities are approximate. Adjust for your own tastes.
How To Make Healthy Eggplant Parmesan:
- Wash the eggplants and then peel them.
- Use a potato peeler or a very sharp knife to slice into rings about 1/4″ thick
- Layer the eggplant slices into a large strainer or colander. (Place the strainer on top of a plate for drainage). Put the eggplant slices in the strainer in flat even layers.
- Add a little salt to each layer/slice as you are layering in the eggplant slices.
- Once you have all the eggplant in the strainer, place a plate that is slightly smaller than the top of the strainer on top to press the eggplant and weight it with a can of veggies. This will squeeze out any water or oil that is in the eggplants. Allow to rest with the weight on top of the eggplant slices for about 1-2 hours.
- Using a large non-stick pan, lightly drizzled with olive oil (about 1/8″ deep), heat until hot.
- Beat (4) eggs into a wide flat bowl or dish and add ¼ cup milk. Mix well and add a little black pepper to the egg mix.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the egg mix and drop the eggplant slice covered with egg into the oil.
- Fry the slices until they are golden brown on each side. Place the fried slices onto paper towels. Also put pieces of paper towels on top and press lightly to remove excess oil. Repeat this system of draining until all slices are fried.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F.
- In a large stoneware casserole dish or baking pan, put a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Place one layer of Eggplant Slices tightly, and not overlapping.
- Add tomato sauce over layer of eggplant, then sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Continue layering all of the above until pan is full or you run out of ingredients.
- Cover & bake 35 minutes. Uncover & bake for another 10 minutes. Rest another 5-8 minutes before eating.
Do you have a recipe you are looking for, or a favorite you would like me to make healthier?
Just post it in a comment.
For more info on the best way to choose your family menus check out the Wow You Are Really Lucky…. program of living.