Disney Pixar’s Ratatouille Recipe
I really enjoyed the movie Ratatouille. The Rat Remy has a rare gift of aromatic blending as well as a fine palate.
A truly fine palate is a rare culinary genius. In my career, I have only been privileged to know one chef who I would say had the exquisite palate of Remy.
With a wave of the spices, a sniff and a taste, Remy created dishes that returned the dinner guests to their childhood or nostalgic past.
This is a gift that very few chefs have.
There are many chefs like myself, who through a combination of art, skill,creativity and intuition, create dishes that impress and are enjoyed by their friends and dinner guests but the exquisite palate of Remy The Rat is a rare gift.
Ratatouille The Healthy Recipe
The word Ratatouille comes from “touiller,” which means to toss food. The original Ratatouille Niçoise, did not contain eggplant.
It was a poor French farmers’ dish, prepared in the summer with fresh summer vegetables. Eggplant would not have been available at the same time as the other vegetables.
Instead, ratatouille used only zucchini, tomatoes, green and red peppers onion, and garlic. The dish known today as ratatouille adds eggplant.
French ratatouille is usually served as a side dish or a lunch dish, but also may be served as a meal on its own.
Recipe for Ratatouille
1 eggplant 1”cubed (peeling optional)
1 green pepper diced (1/2” diced)
1 red pepper diced (1/2” diced)
2 zucchini (1/4 inch” sliced)
1 cup white mushrooms-(1/2” diced)
1 large yellow onion (coarsely chopped)
1-3 red Chile peppers (coarsely chopped)
2 Tbs. fresh basil (chiffonade* sliced)
1 Tbs. fresh oregano-minced
½ Tbs. fresh rosemary- minced
¼ cup olive oil
1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes-drained and save both juice and tomatoes
1 bay leaf
½ tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
Easy Assembly Ratatouille
- Cut all of your vegetables and clean and chop your herbs before you start cooking.
- In a large flat bottomed straight sided skillet, heat the oil until hot.
- Add and sauté the eggplant and onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add bay leaf and the juice only from the tomatoes. Add a splash of vinegar.
- Bring to a boil. Add the oregano, rosemary and marjoram.
- Combine gently, bring to a boil, then cover, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add peppers, garlic, and zucchini. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add reserved tomatoes, mushrooms, basil, salt and pepper. Gently stir and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve to your favorite food critic.
- What is Chiffonade?
*Chiffonade is a culinary term literally meaning shredded rags. To chiffonade a flat herb: remove leaves and stack neatly, then roll like a cigar. Slice as thin as possible.
- Vegan / Vegetarian Recipe
This is a great vegan recipe as presented above. If you are not vegan, try my favorite addition and stir in or top with a fine quality freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Multi-Task Recipe:
You can use Ratatouille as a filling for crepes, omelets, frittatas, or as a potato topping. Just cut vegetable pieces smaller.