Healthy Corned “Beef” and Cabbage Recipe
One of the easiest ways to make a beef recipe healthier is to use turkey.
Almost every beef or pork recipe can be made with turkey.
I love a nice “Pork” and sauerkraut made with turkey legs. Just make it as usual but use skinless turkey legs or thighs. When it is fall-off-the-bone tender, pull all the turkey off the bone and call it pork!
No one will be the wiser!
Corned “Beef” and Cabbage With Spring Vegetables Recipe
I made this at a recent cooking class and everyone LOVED it.
The spices are the key to making corned beef and cabbage.
Usually when you buy a corned beef it is fully cooked and already seasoned.
When making this corned “beef” and cabbage, don’t get hung up on the quantities of the ingredients. Just throw them in as you like.
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 bay leaf
pinch of dried crushed red pepper
1 boneless turkey Breast
1 -2 small onion – sliced
1 small head cabbage -cut into wedges
3/4 package (16 ounces) frozen sweet peas
baby red potatoes
fresh baby carrots
2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- Heat enough water to cover the turkey to a boil.
- Add spices and turkey.
- Bring to a boil; then cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes depending on your size/quantity of turkey.
- Add onion and cabbage to cooking liquid; cover and cook 15 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add baby carrots and peas. Cook 10 minutes longer. (Or until turkey is done)
- Slice turkey thinly, discard bay leaf and arrange vegetables around meat.
- Add vinegar just before service.
- Serve with Horseradish–Chive Sauce or your favorite mustard.
Horseradish Chive Sauce
Combine all ingredients to make a fast, healthy and yummy horseradish chive sauce to serve with your corned “beef”:
8 ounces yogurt
2–3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
2 teaspoons chopped chives
Remember it is all about the seasoning when it comes to corn beef and cabbage so get them all and if you close your eyes you will think it is corned beef!!
Need healthy Beef Recipe = Use Turkey!