Both Diet & Regular Soda Is Bad For You!
Back in the old days soda was actually made from real food ingredients and was not as bad for you. It was often a good “pick me up” instead of coffee, a healthy alternative to liquor or as a refreshing Summer beverage.
Why Soda Is Bad For You:
It is not to hard to determine why soda is bad for you when you look at the ingredient list of your average 21st century soda.
- Phosphoric Acid: this is added to soda as a “tangy” flavor. It is a chemical that is used in the dental industry to remove rust and tooth enamel. Inside our bodies it lowers the PH balance in our blood. Acidic blood is the precursor to disease. The more acidic blood also causes mineral robbing from our bones which over time contributes to osteoporosis. Phosphoric acid has also been linked to kidney disease and kidney stones.
- Sodium Benzoate: This preservative prevents mold from forming in the soda. It is a “Generally Recognized As Safe” or GRAS approved product. Researchers have said that it damages DNA and may lead to Parkinson’s disease and cirrhosis of the liver.
- Ascorbic Acid: This not so “natural” flavor is basically a manufactured version of lemon juice. Alone it is OK but combined with sodium benzoate it forms benzene which is a proven cancer causing agent.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS): is the most often used sweetener in soda because it is cheaper than sugar. It has been linked to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, and is a major risk factor in a multitude of diseases including heart attack, stroke and diabetes. In addition, many of the HFCS samples tested in the United States production lines contain mercury, one of the most poisonous of toxins.
- Cocaine? Originally the Coca Cola brand beverage used coca leaves which actually contained cocaine. Because cocaine is naturally present in coca leaves, today’s Coca-Cola uses “spent,” or treated, coca leaves, those that have been through a cocaine extraction process, to flavor the beverage. (Well, what do you think about that?)
- Non-Nutrative Sweeteners: Excitotoxins are addictive chemicals that do the exact opposite of what you expect them to do! Not only do they increase sugar cravings but they also aggravate your insulin levels.
Is Diet Soda Bad For You?
Yes!! Diet soda IS bad for you! Even though the FDA has approved artificial sweeteners they are chemicals and have not been proven using the test of time regarding their long-term safety. Diet drinks are also linked to obesity, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
In addition some of the artificial sweeteners fall into a class of chemicals known as excitotoxins. This group of food additives excite the brain to the point of killing cells. One commonly known excitotoxin, although not found in soda, is MSG.
What Are Good Sodas?
There are still some companies that produce good soda products. The way to determine if a particular brand is good (or not so bad) is to look at the ingredient list and determine what is in it. Some brands of good sodas that I have seen are Zevia, Blue Sky, Hansens’s, Maine Root and DRY Soda.
Deb Bixler On Google+