Eating Foods To Prevent Aging
The most common causes of death in modern rich countries are heart disease and cancer.
With all the anti-aging creams, pills and lotions on the market today we sometimes forget that food really is our best medicine!
We really can eat a healthy diet to prevent aging!
Do you remember the James Bond movie when Bond and his boss discuss health?
Boss: “Too many free radicals, that’s your problem.”
James Bond: “Free radicals, sir?”
Boss: “Yes, they’re toxins that destroy the body and the brain, caused by eating too much red meat and white bread, and too many dry martinis.”
James Bond: “Then I shall cut out the white bread, sir!”
Some of the best foods to combat aging are antioxidants because they eliminate free radicals that damage the body and cause cancer.
Eating Foods To Prevent Aging
Here is a list of 10 foods to prevent aging. Add as many of them as possible on a regular basis to your diet to maintain good health.
- Berries such as blueberries, cranberries, and acai are high in vitamin C and other antioxidents. However, it is best to eat only those berries that have not been sprayed with pesticides, because this stimulates the plant to produce the antioxidents necessary to fight off insects.
- Grape seed powder contains the miracle antioxident resveratrol that helps French wine drinkers live a long life despite high consumption of alcohol, tobacco smoke, cheese, butter, and fatty desserts. As in many plants, the seed is the most nutritious part, and the pulverization into powder makes it easy to eat.
- Green tea is a miracle drink that contains epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Like grape seeds, EGCG eliminates free radicals that cause cancer. It also fights harmful cholesterol, or low density lipoprotein (LDL) that clogs arteries, and boosts beneficial cholesterol, or high density lipoprotein (HDL) that prevents heart attacks.
- Water! Most drinks containing sugar raise the level of insulin in blood. Drink water or soup before a meal to prepare your stomach for the feast to come and reduce your desire to eat too much.
- Prunes eliminate free radicals even better than blueberries and James Bond, violence is never necessary. Prunes are also a good source of fiber.
- Garlic keeps the heart healthy by reducing bad cholesterol.
- Avocados contain fats that fight harmful cholesterol (LDL) and boost beneficial cholesterol (HDL). It contains minimal calories and is a natural pill rich in nutrients such as vitamins E, C, and beta-carotene.
- Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids that keep weight down and inhibit hardening of the arteries. Salmon is also high in protein and Vitamin D. Salmon caught in the wild do not suffer disease as is common in aquaculture salmon.
- Sardines, like salmon, contain omega 3 fatty acids and are low in calories. Sardines are low in the food chain, so are not a source of mercury like larger fish such as tuna and swordfish.
- Nuts are a natural food that humans and our primate ancestors have been biologically adapted to eating for millions of years. Walnuts, almonds, cashews, and pecans are nutritious nuts that reduce the risk of heart attacks.
There are hundreds of healthy anti-aging recipes on this site so, check out the healthy recipe category for more healthy food ideas.