Flax Seed Adds Essential Fats To Diet
Flax Seeds High In Essential Omega-3 Fats
The health benefits of flax seeds were well known to many long lost eras. Flax was popular for medicinal purposes during the era of the Roman empire. Hippocrates, the Greek physician born in 460 BC praised flax for its medicinal value, yet by the 19th century flax had been demoted to a commodity used to make paint and linens, and to roll cigarettes. Today, flax is returning to popularity, due to the “new” research on the seeds that show a very highly concentrated source of protein, soluble fiber and essential omega 3 fats.
Flax High Omega 3 Fats
Omega 3 fats are those found in fish oils and are essential or necessary to our body’s metabolism because we are not capable of manufacturing these essential fats or nutrients. Anyone who attempts to eliminate all fats from her or his diet is only sabotaging the body’s ability to maintain an ideal weight and immune system. All healthy diets include good fats.
Add Flax To Your Diet
Omega-3 fats and other essential fats allow your body to perform all the duties necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Although flax seed is rarely eaten alone, it is easy to add to other food items.
- Add ground flax seed as a topping to yogurt, cereal or salads
- Many cereals have flax seed incorporated into them-check the ingredient lists
- If you make homemade granola, add some ground flax seeds into it
- Flax oil can be mixed into baked recipes like breads or cakes
- Mix flax oil with your salad dressings
- Stir flax oil into cottage cheese or even a portion of yogurt
- Sprinkle ground flax seeds over cooked vegetables
Flax Seed Needs Refrigerated
Your flax oil and seed need to be refrigerated to maintain freshness. Actually, fresh seeds store well in the freezer. Grind seeds prior to eating so that you get all the benefits from them. Grind only the amount you need as the seeds lose nutritional value quickly after grinding. If purchasing pre-ground seeds, get a small amount at a time and be sure to store them in the freezer.