Tomato Soup Quinoa Recipe
This quinoa recipe will surprise you!!
Quinoa is a gluten free grain that is a great addition to all diets but especially for vegetarians.
It is not really a true grain or cereal because it is not a grass. In the scientific world it is refereed to as a psuedograin.
When we purchase quinoa we are getting the seeds. The leaves are also eaten but are hard to find commercially.
The Incas referred quinoa as the “mother of all grains”. It has an unusually high amounts of protein and unlike other grains includes all of the essential amino acids we need which makes it an excellent source of protein for vegetarians.
Vegetarian Tomato Soup with Quinoa
1/3 cup quinoa, rinse in strainer well
1 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
l cup chopped white onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups chicken broth (if you are buying it, get organic)
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoon light-sour cream
2 garlic cloves, pressed
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the quinoa, water, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the grains are translucent and begin to uncoil. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process the tomatoes with their puree until almost smooth.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, garlic, pepper, and sugar and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the onions are tender and light golden.
- Stir in the pureed tomatoes and broth. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the soup is slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, combine the basil, Parmesan, sour cream, and garlic, mix until smooth.
- To serve, fluff the quinoa with a fork and stir into the soup. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and top each serving with about 1 tablespoon of the pesto or basil leaves.