Healthy Cheap Family Meals
Eating healthy not have to be expensive.
As a matter of fact there are many cheap family meals available when you shop wisely.
In the long run when you look at it over time your family will save money in medical costs by choosing higher quality family meals.
You can easily create inexpensive healthy meals that the whole family will love.
Here are some shopping tips for good-for-you budget minded meals so that your family can be healthier now and into the future.
- Supermarkets are designed to entice you to buy more, with expensive items at eye level and or easier to grab and the cheaper varieties on the lower levels or higher levels.
- If possible leave the children at home. Grocery stores position children type items at children level height. Specifically situated at the level of the shopping cart seat these items are rarely good for you and never cheap.
- Supermarkets sell food at below retail price if it is about to expire. This is the sell by date, not the eat by date.
- Don’t watch TV. The marketing for food products will distort your perception of value and food brands!
- Never go shopping when you’re hungry. You will always spend more money than when shopping on a full stomach.
- Allow plenty of time for grocery shopping. Study the choices and options for price and nutritional value.
- Create your menu for the week and shop from a list.
- Check the cupboards before creating your shopping list and use items you already have.
- Vegetarian meals are cheap because of the obvious fact that they do not have meat. Whole grains are cheaper than meat.
- Don’t insist on the brand names. Store brands are made by the brand name companies and packaged with store labels.
- Stay away from processed foods. They may appear inexpensive initially. Only 43 cents for a box of macaroni and cheese looks good on the receipt. When you create your own macaroni and cheese from scratch it is not any harder and gives you far more finished product. A meal with vitamins and minerals as opposed to empty calories keeps the kids satisfied longer. When your body is satisfied to of received all the vitamins and minerals needed to maintain health you will not crave food as quickly.
- The healthiest foods choices are also the most economical. Chicken and turkey are far less expensive than beef. There are many economical frozen fish choices: farm raised tilapia and catfish come to mind.
- Purchase multi-task foods. For example, a turkey is moderately priced during off season and can be used to make several cheap family meals. Buy a turkey anytime of the year. Separate the dark meat and white meat then make soup from the bones.
Did you get some good ideas here?
Share it with your friends by linking to this page from your website, book mark it to your favorite social site below or send your friends the page URL so they can live healthy too!
3 Cheap Family Meals With A Turkey
- Roast the breast with fresh herbs for a savory dinner.
- Braise the legs and thighs with sauerkraut, caraway seeds, a touch of brown sugar and apple sauce and the family won’t know it’s not pork.
- Take all the bones when your done and make soup. The Turkey Encore Now We’re Cooking TV show has a really cool recipe for split pea soup.
The Value Of Good Health
Making wise choices will result in the best family mealtime value. Plan ahead and it will pay off for you financially as well as from a health point of view.
The value of good health can not be compared to the value of saving a few pennies.
You can put your money into your food or you can put your money into your medical bills.