Healthy Tiramisu Makeover Recipe
Dessert is never healthy but there are always things we can do to make it better for you.
When I put out a call for recipe makeovers a Facebook fan asked me to make a healthy tiramisu out of her family’s favorite holiday dessert recipe.
Kathleen McIntyre Taborelli asked for a recipe makeover of her family favorite tiramisu saying:
Tiramisu is a family holiday dessert that I am making this for Christmas.
Here are the Ingredients: 6 egg yolks, 1 pound mascarpone cheese, 3 tbs sugar, 1 1/2 cup strong espresso, 2 tbs rum, 24 lady fingers, 1/2 c bittersweet Chocolate.
What can I do to make it healthy?!
Healthy Tiramisu Goal
While the ingredients do not look complete to me, I am still going to take a shot at it.
(The ingredients do not include cream but I am assuming that it does have cream in it as most Tiramisu does.)
Before you can make a recipe healthier it is important to define what your healthy goal is.
Is it to be less calories, less sugar, less fat, better quality ingredients…
What exactly is your healthy goal? Without a goal you can never be sure if you were successful!
In this case our healthy Tiramisu goal will be: less calories, lower fat and more fiber!
Fiber is what most desserts are lacking and everyone can benefit from more fiber.
The Makeover Recipe
I made this makeover recipe on New Years Eve and it was given rave reviews!
2/3 cup espresso
2 Tbs. brandy, Kahlua or rum
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 ounce reduced-fat cream cheese – room temperature
4 ounce mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup low fat milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 (3 oz. packages) Lady Fingers
1 cup of sliced strawberries
chocolate shavings (optional)
- Dissolve 1 Tbs. sugar in a mixture of the hot espresso and brandy.
- Whip cream until a soft peak. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar till smooth then add in mascarpone and beat until smooth.
- Then add milk and vanilla and beat till combined and fluffy.
- Blend/Fold whipped cream into cheese mixture.
- In 8 or 9 inch square pan or baking dish (or any dish) place split lady finger halves with the split side up, in single layer on the bottom.
- Drizzle half of the espresso mixture evenly over.
- Smear half of cheese mixture over ladyfingers. Top with sliced strawberries in a single layer.
- Add remaining ladyfingers. Brush with the rest of the espresso mixture. Spread with balance of cheese mixture.
- Combine equal parts confectionery sugar and cocoa powder. Dust the top.
- Refrigerate 5 hours. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.
Why Is This Tiramisu Dessert Healthier?
Most tiramisu desserts are extremely rich due to large quantities of cream and egg yolks.
By removing the egg yolks and switching to half cream cheese we have lowered the calorie and fat content of this dish tremendously.
Also, the addition of strawberries has made this dessert higher in fiber. That alone makes it healthier.
The cream cheese served a dual function in our makeover recipe in that it will help with the thickening since we took out the egg yolks and it will also replace half of the mascarpone cheese.
Do you have a recipe that needs a makeover?