Mango Napoleon Recipe – Healthy Party Dessert
Dessert is never healthy but this Mango Napoleon recipe is healthier than other Napoleons!
Normally made with alternating layers of pastry, custard and whipped cream then topped with icing, ours includes fruit to give it fiber and make it just a tad bit healthier!
Healthy Napoleon Recipe
This recipe may look a bit daunting and yet it is definitely do-able by the average home kitchen chef.
It is worth the effort if you are looking for a fun party dessert that everyone will love!
The 30 minute video is a step by step tutorial on the recipe for mango napoleon torte which was performed at a live cooking class.
Print the recipe below using the “clean print” option then have it next to you to refer to while you watch.
How To Make Mango Napoleon Torte = 4 Parts
Good chefs get their “mise en place” ready.
In French that means get everything in place first. Gather your ingredients and plan to make your Mango Napoleon Torte in 4 parts.
#1 Make The SPICED PHYLLO Torte Layers
2 ounces unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed if frozen
- Melt butter with cinnamon and ginger in a small saucepan.
- Brush 1 piece of parchment with spiced butter, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on top, and gently brush with spiced butter.
- Top with another phyllo sheet. Repeat, buttering and layering remaining sheets.
- Sprinkle remaining tablespoon confectioners’ sugar on top. Using a paring knife, trim edges of phyllo to fit parchment, then cut into rectangles.
- Transfer parchment and phyllo to an upside-down baking sheet. Brush remaining sheet of parchment with spiced butter, and place on phyllo, buttered side down.
- Place another baking sheet, right side up, on top of phyllo.
- Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer phyllo to a wire rack, and let cool. Phyllo will keep, covered, for up to 3 days.
#2 Make The MANGO FILLING
For the filling just toss together:
2 large mangoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
juice of fresh 1/2 lime and zest
8 fresh mint leaves, julienne
#3 Make The MANGO CARAMEL
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
juice of fresh 1/2 lime and zest
large mango, peeled and cut into small dice
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add sugars, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until sugars begin to dissolve.
- Add lime juice/zest and cook, stirring, until sugars dissolve and sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir in mango, bring to a simmer, and cook about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Cool.
#4 Make The MINT CREAM
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. mint extract
sugar to taste
Whip the cream and add sugar, mint extract as it turns to a soft peak.
Assemble Dessert Recipe Day Of Party
- Place 2 tablespoons mango caramel in a medium bowl. Add mint cream and combine.
- Place 1 phyllo rectangle on a plate
- Top with mango filling.
- Spread whipped cream on top.
- Top with a second piece of phyllo, then repeat.
- Serve with sauce and garnish with confectionery sugar and mint sprigs.
Take your time, print the recipe, watch the video, stage your mise en place and I am sure that your Mango Napoleon will look just as good as this one!