Healthy Whole Wheat Cinnamon Bun Recipe
This cinnamon bun recipe makeover was submitted to me by Noxy Commanda Stevens saying: Any suggestions on making a healthy version of this recipe? Looks so scrumptious!
It took me almost a year to do the makeover but did recently and they ARE YUMMY!
Why Is This Cinnamon Bun Recipe Healthy?
- It is made with 100% whole wheat flour. You could buy whole wheat pastry flour for a bit more tender result but I just used regular whole wheat flour and sifted it well using a fine strainer. Whole wheat has fiber and more nutrients than white flour. This does not mean this is health food but everyone (including diabetics) benefit from more fiber.
- The butter was totally replaced by coconut oil. Coconut oil is a good replacement for butter. It has that rich mouth feel that butter has and in this case you cannot tell the difference. Coconut oil boosts your immune system and is good for blood sugar control which is another reason for this to be a better cinnamon bun recipe for diabetics. It also has been shown to reduce cholesterol levels and increase the good cholesterol in the blood.
Healthy Whole Wheat 30 Minute Cinnamon Buns
These healthy whole wheat cinnamon buns taste as good as the ‘bad for you cinnamon buns’! I ate the whole batch myself over the course of 4 days.
(Preheat oven to 375 degrees)
1 ½ cups plus 1 Tbs. whole wheat flour – sifted
1 ½ tsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 Tbs. melted coconut oil for brushing
2 Tbs coconut oil – melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ cup walnuts and/or raisins
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs. milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Make The Dough
- Sift 1 ½ cups plus 1 Tbs. whole wheat flour and put into a bowl.
- Add brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Stir in the buttermilk until a dough ball forms.
- Turn out onto parchment paper with a light flour floured surface. Knead gently for a minute.
- Roll the dough into an a rectangle about 1/4” inch thick and even up the sides. (Extra flour may be needed.)
- Brush the surface with melted coconut oil.
- Combine 2 Tbs coconut oil with the brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Smear the mixture over the dough.
- Sprinkle with nuts and raisins.
- Roll into a tight log and pinch ends shut a bit then brush with coconut oil.
- Now you can either cut them into 12 and put into a muffin pan lined with paper then bake for 20 minutes or till done OR you can bake it as a log which takes a bit longer in the oven then slice after baking. (Actually, I like this way better.)
- When done, cool slightly and cut into 12 cinnamon buns.
- To make the icing mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth.
- Drizzle on finished buns.
Make The Filling
Bake Your Buns
Ice Your Buns
I demonstrated this cinnamon bun recipe in front of a live audience at a recent cooking class and everyone LOVED them and expressed their surprise.
They are definitely fun, fast and healthy cinnamon buns.